Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake

Well, I have to give my account of this morning's earthquake. I figure if Bonnie Lucas on 1040 WHO from Des Moines is able to give a creditable account, so can I.

The epicenter was 240 miles south of Chicago, near West Salem IL. So we are closer to this location than Des Moines is. It was in the range of 5.2 - 5.4.

I awoke to hear Eddie, the pet parakeet, flapping frantically around his cage just shortly after 4:40 our time this morning. Then it sounded like something was running across the roof, or rolling across it. I got Eddie settled back down and went back to bed. Then this morning I read of the earthquake, and it all made sense. It was a relief to realize that there weren't huge raccoons or possums or Heaven knows what else chasing each other across our rooftops!

I wonder what the barn dwellers thought. I wonder how my friends farther south fared, or what my brother and his wife in Chicago experienced. Earthquakes in the Midwest are so rare . . .

No comments: