Wednesday, February 2, 2011

sewing in a zipper

I do knit, and have crocheted forever. I don't sew. When my sis in law announced the impending birth of her fourth, I started on a bunting. I don't know why I do things like that; it wasn't done when he was born. As a matter of fact, I just finished it this past weekend. But I did conquer it. I don't sew. But I did sew in a zipper.

The first thing I did was pray. The next thing was look at a couple of online videos on how to stitch a zipper in to a knitted garment. I stretched and flattened it out on the dining room table.

I made sure to tie the two front panels together evenly.

And since I know myself so well, I cut a piece of cardboard to size, and inserted it between the back and front. I could just see myself stitching the front to the back!

Pinned in place . . .

My slipper orchid cheering me on . . .

My important implements!

I discovered the comfort and security of a basting stitch. Thanks to my trusty cardboard, I did not stitch the front to the back.

Backstitching. I'm pretty happy with how straight it ended up.

Zipper installed, and fully functional!

The lucky recipient. I'm trying to convince myself he doesn't have the same expression that Ralphie did in The Christmas Story. But I feel like I really conquered and accomplished something by knitting that bunting and teaching myself to sew that zipper in!

Stay tuned - tomorrow, there will be photos from the BLIZZARD OF 2011!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just had to get a flower pic in!!! Great job. Eileen

cm said...

Thanks! It was sitting there on the table, like it was cheering me on! Its lasted so long!